Payyoli chicken...We have had this tasty starter only from the Calicut Paragon restaurants. Never knew it was so easy to make..until I got the recipe during my usual blog-hopping.
Chicken - 500g
Kashmiri chilly powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprig
Salt - to taste
Crushed ginger - 1 tbsp
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Coconut oil - 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Green chilly - 2, whole
1. Marinate the chicken with 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, 1 sprig of curry leaves, salt, vinegar and crushed ginger. Let it rest for atleast 30 min.
2. Mix the grated coconut with the remaining 1 tbsp of kashmiri chilli powder and keep aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp of coconut oil in a kadai or manchatti. Add the curry leaves and marinated chicken. Saute well on high heat for about 2 min.
4. After that reduce the heat, cover the pot and cook till the chicken is almost done.
5. Now open the lid and add the grated coconut-chilly powder mixture. Cook till all the water is evaporated and mixture turns semi-dry.
6. Move the chicken mixture to the sides of the pan and make a small well in the middle of the pan, add the remaining oil. When its hot enough, add the remaining sprig of curry leaves and green chilly. Mix entire mixture and let it dry up.
7. Serve hot!!