Another side dish, using home-grown brinjals that my MIL sent.
Small brinjals - 4-5 nos
Shallots - 4-5
Garlic - 2 big cloves
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Chilly powder - 1 tsp (as per your tolerance)
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - as per taste
Coconut/any oil - 2 tbsp
1. Wash brinjals thoroughly under running water. Cut them into thin slices, and put them in a bowl of water as soon as you cut them. Add a little salt to this water.
2. Crush the shallots and garlic together
3. Heat oil in a kadai, and add the crushed mixture. Saute till they turn light brown and slightly crispy. Throw in the curry leaves.
4. Add the chilly powder and turmeric powder, and saute till raw smell is gone.
5. Now drain sliced brinjals from the water and add to the kadai. Mix thoroughly. Add salt
6. Close the lid and cook till the brinjal are soft and cooked. You will need to sprinkle some water in between.