One of our family favorite, and a never-miss item in the kids' birthday parties.....and super easy to make.
Recipe Source - Joy of Baking
Yield - 12 - 15 muffins
Walnuts - 0.5 cup (optional - I usually omit this)
Raw grated carrot - 2 cups (just shred them in the food processor)
Grated (peeled) apple - 1 cup (i shred them in the food processor)
All purpose flour - 2 cups (i use half maida & half whole wheat flour)
Granulated sugar - 1 1/4 c (use muscavado or light brown sugar for darker, healthier, tastier muffins)
Baking soda - 3/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Ground cinnamon - 1 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Egg - 2
Sunflower oil - 3/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Coconut (sweetened/unsweetened) - 1 cup (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Toast pecans (if adding) for about 8 min, cool & chop coarsly.
- Sift in below items & keep aside
- All purpose flour, whole wheat atta
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Powdered cinnamon
- Vanilla (if using the powder)
- Mix the below items in a big bowl slowly so that they combine just enough
- Sunflower oil
- Vanilla (if using liquid extract)
- To the liquid mixture, now add the sifted flour mixture and combine gently. Care should be taken not to over mix
- Towards the end, add the grated carrot & apple, mix to combine.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin liners & pour each impression to three-fourth.
- Bake in the oven for about 18- 25 min. This will depend on the type of the oven & also on the type of flour used. Whole wheat flour muffins will be ready mostly in 18-20 min. Its better to check the muffins from about 15 min, so as not to over bake them.