Sunday, April 20, 2014

Mango Ice-cream

The mango season is back again!! The heaps of mangoes in the market and people going around it touching and smelling to buy the right ones is an endearing sight. I think Dubai imports mangoes from around the world. Having tasted them from many parts of the world, I still feel that our own Indian varieties are the best. No wonder mango is the national fruit of India!



Coming to Ice-creams - I think I started my culinary journey with ice-creams. Whenever there is excess milk at home (there was no concept of storing milk for 3-4 days, you buy it for your day's need. If there is excess, you need to either make curd or ice-creams. Milk, however you refrigerate, used to get spoiled after 20-24 hrs. I wonder what all they add these days to store for weeks/months), my mother before rushing to office would give me instructions on how to make it. These used to happen mostly on Saturdays. So by around 10 o'clock, I would start boiling, stirring milk. It was a long process then, where we need to wait till milk to reduce to half its volume, then take it off the stove, add sugar, beaten egg, keep stirring, then again on to the stove, stirring again until you get somewhat thick consistency. Then again you need to keep stirring while cooling them under the fan. By now, the supposed ice-cream would have again reduced in volume, as the chef keeps tasting the will-be-ice-cream. Somehow I would transfer it to a steel container and freeze it, and again would taste them every now and then. By the time mom would come back from office and by the time it should have properly frozen, there would be hardly anything left in there. They were so tasty.

Now that summer is making its entry to Dubai (this year a li'l late though) and since mangoes are in plenty, I thought of making some ice-cream. This is my first-time making the mango ice-creams. Searched the net, and found Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe. It was ohh-so simple; involved no cooking, stirring. I immediately jumped on, peeling and chopping the yellow wonder...rest you can read below.

Ingredients

Mangoes - 2 big, I used Badami. Alphonsos would be the best
Milk - 1 cup
Condensed milk - 3/4 tin
Sugar - 3 tbsp (adjust as per your liking)
Lemon juice - 1 tsp



Method

1. Peel and cut the mangoes to cubes. Puree them in big jar of the mixer.
2. Add sugar, lemon juice & condensed milk and pulse again in the mixer.
3. Add milk and adjust the consistency.
4. Pour into freezer-proof bowls and keep in freezer for atleast an hour.
5. After an hour, take them out and pulse them in the mixer again. Freeze them again. If possible set overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment